Thursday, July 12, 2007

one way to enjoy the summer

My brother and I went out for a ride a while back. It was the first ride I had in years. He’s married now and rides with his wife. This time we did a bit of exploring. We followed the river so we could spot his wife out rowing with her team.

I like the feel of riding because you can’t really talk, you have to feel. Feel the balance. Feel the movement. Lean into a turn. Angle your head to avoid the crashing helmets. Anticipate a lane change. This time my brother started doing this strange ducking thing, where he would get into this uncomfortable hunched position behind the short windshield. Oh, I thought, I guess he’s doing this to lessen wind resistance. So, I duck also. After the ride we had this conversation.

Him: so did you like it when I ducked?
Me: sure. Wind resistance, huh.
Him: My wife likes it when I do that so that she can see the scenery better.
Me: ???!!!!

Isn’t my brother a really nice guy. This is just one of the many little things he does to help and love everyone. Too bad I was all stuck up in the mind of performance and commodity. I suppose the shirt he wore that day didn’t help get me out of that mode much. It didn’t say, “Smell the roses along the way.” Rather it was t-shirt from his bridge class project. It had four formulas on it one of them being the stress resistance of concrete and other structural engineering formulas.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: