About 4 years ago a large family from
1. I miss waking up some Saturday morning to my doorbell being pushed about a million times in a row.
2. I miss sitting on my doorstep cuddling with 2 or 3 kids, listening to animated story telling.
3. I miss little Derrick’s comedies and sassy story telling. As a four year old he was already a ham.
4. I miss watching these kids roll anything with wheels at top speed, down the street with the steep hill right by my house. One summer they even used a cooler till its wheels fell off.
5. I love it how my brother was the ultimate consultant of moral behavior. Most usually they asked him about whether or not certain items they had found were free for the taking. Once they even busted me for burning things in my back yard. “Are you supposed to be setting things on fire in your back yard? Does Tim know you are doing this?”
6. I miss having them ask me to water my flowers. And then sending them home drenched.
7. I miss coming home from work and having the entire four block area erupt in children screaming my name and running at me as I pulled up to my house.
8. I miss handing out apples and bananas and drinks of water.
9. I (almost) miss the steady stream of “uncles” who came over with the kids to sweet talk, smooth talk, or whatever… I liked the challenge of trying to outwit them and finding buttons to push.
10. I miss the sisters and brothers and their families who came to visit both our neighbors, as well as us. They expected us to show up at the gatherings at their house too and were mad at us when we got too busy.
11. I miss learning how to talk like a sassy black girl from the hood.
12. I loved having little companions for every home improvement project I embarked upon.
13. I liked the strait talking, no pretense, lifestyle and demeanor.
14. I loved the million and one questions the kids asked. Why don’t you make such and such your boyfriend? Why do white people not have babies? Why are you always working? Why do I have to wash my hands? Can you fix my bike? Can you put air in my tires? Can I have a ride in your truck? It’s my birthday. Can I have a birthday present? When are we going to have another party? Can I have a ride up the street to my friend’s house? Can I come into your house? Can I help you clean your house?