Saturday, June 09, 2007

what I deserve

I have very quickly become weary of the phrase "I deserve _______ (whatever item)." It's shocking what we give verbal assent to selling ourselves for in these little statements. I also cringe a bit when friends declare for no particular reason, "I'm going to treat myself." What about the blessings and the treats of the self-sacrificed and stuff-sacrificed life? I see these little declarations as indicative of the false worldview we so quickly buy into. This is only the beginning of how we don't live as we should, with regard to daily pleasures. Not that we shouldn't enjoy life but rather that we should enjoy life...with an open hand and without exploiting others. How can we do what is right when it becomes a matter of life and not livelihood. For a good Amish Mennonite sermon to convince yourself of what you already know...that it's not all about you, go here for the transcript.

Matt 10:38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

No comments: