Thursday, February 09, 2006

wisdom

Hey I ran into this scripture last night. It’s kind-of like the other scripture I posted, in that it expresses a truth in an apparently contradictory way to bring out the uniqueness of the truth. I’ll write some context down so that those who have trouble with that can be better served. The chapters before this passage are personifying and describing wisdom. This chapter starts off an ingenious piece of subtle presentation. I wish I could write like that. Yet it begins by personifying wisdom as a responsible accomplished woman who has built a house, directed her servants and has prepared a feast for her guests. Who are her guests? You and I: irresponsible fickle and immature children. She invites us into her house with the following…

Proverbs 8
6 Lay aside immaturity, and live, and walk in the way of insight." 7 Whoever corrects a scoffer wins abuse; whoever rebukes the wicked gets hurt. 8 A scoffer who is rebuked will only hate you; the wise, when rebuked, will love you. 9 Give instruction to the wise, and they will become wiser still; teach the righteous and they will gain in learning. 10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight. 11 For by me your days will be multiplied, and years will be added to your life. 12 If you are wise, you are wise for yourself; if you scoff, you alone will bear it.

3 comments:

asdf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
asdf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
espíritu paz said...

ehm. I stand corrected.

Psst..I guess there's a few ways to get athiests to read the Bible...and I've stumbled onto one. *silly grin